According to the National Fire Protection Association, most kitchen fires in America happen on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Unfortunately, when it comes to the holiday season, kitchen fires are not the only disasters that can happen to your home. The team at Insurance Service Center has put some tips together for our homeowners to make this holiday season in their homes a safe one.
- Make sure your home is equipped with fire detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Check to be sure that all of the detectors in your home are working correctly. Taking the time to inspect them now will give you peace of mind.
- Practice good cooking protocol, even when you are busy entertaining visitors. Don’t leave a stove or oven unattended while cooking. Be sure to keep flammable materials like oven mitts away from the stove or other heating elements in the kitchen.
- Clean your chimney. Supervise the fireplace whenever you have a fire going.
- While cooking may be the biggest fire hazard in a home, most candle fires are reported in the month of December. Keep lit candles away from fabrics or other materials that could catch on fire. Keep children away from lit candles.
- Water your fresh tree. Christmas trees can dry out and become highly flammable. Keep your Christmas tree a good distance away from your fireplace or a heater. Also, even though it creates a very pretty picture, do not use candles on your Christmas tree.
- Check your holiday lights. Look for frayed wires, and broken bulbs. Consider a switch to LED lights because they tend to burn at a cooler temperature. Never forget to turn your holiday lights off before leaving the house or going to bed.
Unexpected fire disasters happen all the time. Perhaps the very best piece of advice that we can give you is to make sure that your home is protected by having homeowners insurance. Having homeowners insurance is essential in order to be a responsible homeowner, especially at this time of the year. If you are a North Carolina homeowner living in Fayetteville, Lumberton, Apex, Sanford, Clinton or Lillington and the surrounding areas, Insurance Service Center can help you find the perfect homeowners insurance policy for you and your family. Give us a call today for more information!